Sunday, April 26, 2009

koh phi phi

hey hey! We're in koh phi phi right now. It's off the west coast of Thailand about a 2 hour boat ride from krabi. So amazing.
We got to krabi last week sometime, just drinking eating and living so cheaply and having a blast. Food, drink, good books, sun and warm waters... What else do ya need?have just been wondering why we don't live here. I've met a lot of teachers here, and after talking to them, I wonder how such an opportunity can exist, and why havn't I taken it. Ryan has also felt the calling, although his is to be a tuk tuk driver. Don't know if I've explained before but a tuk tuk is a scooter with a carriage attached for hauling people and stuff. A real perk to the job is you can hang a hammock up in it and sleep, if you feel like a nap. Seriously it's an untapped market to be an English speaking tuk tuk driver!
Well daydreaming aside we have a liitle under 2 weeks left.. Boo. Don't really know how I'm gonna be able to go grocery shopping and stuff without bartering! "2 dollars for a loaf of bread?! I give you 30cents, last price" and then when I walk away and they don't follow, I'll realize I'm home. So there's that, also speaking broken English with a mix of Thai and balinese, for the last two months, will be different too. Please feel free to correct my poor grammer when I get back.

We're on this island till Saturday, staying in a liitle straw lean-to, that has everything you need. From here we're going to Phuket. And then back to Bangkok to head home. I'll post a blog when I get to Bangkok to let y'all know the situation there. Sounds like it's melloed out. So do t worry(: love love!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, It's Buck, Glad you two are enjoying the last weeks of your trip. Just had a great visit with Paul and Katie. Went to the beech yesterday. They should be back in Calgary as we speak. Have fun and stay safe.
    Buck

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for checking in. The baby is coming at 9:30 am on May 26th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jill and Ryan, great to hear from you and to know you are having an exciting time enjoying the cultures...we can't wait to hear the stories and see pic's. Ryan your great-auntie Somnia from Spain sends her love and will be at the wedding. Take care, love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that the time went so quickly. All I can say is that you better not run away to Asia permanently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill,

    Glad your borth having a great time. Maybe you could bring the Tuk Tuk business to Seattle. I imagine there might be a market for that. It would be novel, economical and GREEN :)
    Take Care and Love you tons,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill and Ryan,

    So like a great oportunity... I can imagine about the broken English, I was speaking broken Russian there and slipping in a neit, and da here after I got back... :^)

    Be safe
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling Jill, we love you so much. You are like a breath of spring and fresh air. So full of vitality. You will always be in our hearts, and minds. We love you forever.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  8. *********************Jill*************************
    Sourire, Force, Creativite, Vitalite, Heureuse et Amoureuse. Tu vas nous manquer. On t'aime.
    Cyrielle & Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill - I am so proud of you and Ryan for embarking on such a grand adventure. You were one of the most generous people I know - with your time, your creativity, your smile and joy. We love you.

    Rachel and Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad to hear what happened. I hope you are in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill,

    I just read your story and what happened in Phi Phi

    You will always be remembered.

    Anton

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been following this sad tragic story from South-Africa, my condolences to family and friends. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are absolutely no words to describe the feelings that go with this. My most deepest and heartfelt sympathy extended to you and to yours ~Nards~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been following this sad story too from San Francisco. The third world countries experience are a lot different than what we might expect. My condolences to family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really sad, sorry to hear. It's a shame that the authorities are not on top of things like this and allow it to get improperly treated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very sorry to hear what happened. Sending thoughts and prayers to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came here after reading an article in the Seattle Times. I, too, love to travel and agree that we can't just stay home because......
    Reading Jill's blog I kept thinking how lucky she was to spend her last days experiencing so much! And for Ryan to propose, it was so beautiful, almost as if it was her final gift to complete her journey of life. My condolences to the family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jill i will always remember you as a sweet little girl. You will be in my heart and my thoughts always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Jilly,

    I have loved you since before you were born, and will forever. Your shiny light is like a warm hug. You are the greatest daughter, and I was so blessed to be your mom. I love and miss you so very much. Hear our prayers. You are beautiful inside and out. Be happy and at peace. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete